Ad Hoc Student Services Committee Mission Statement
Adopted January 20, 2011
The Ad Hoc Student Services Committee of the Massachusetts Secondary School Administrators Association has as its primary responsibility the improvement and maintenance of services to students provided by outside organizations. This entails both active and passive activities, and shall encompass, but be limited to the specific areas noted below.
• The Committee will conduct research on alternative programs, new or advanced programs and ongoing initiatives as determined by frequent communication with MSSAA members and the outside organizations concerned.
• The Committee will provide, from time to time, information to members that will assist them in knowing about and obtaining the services of various organizations devoted to the needs of particular students or particular administrative situations.
• The committee will maintain close liaison with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Executive Office of Education and private groups that are concerned with the provision of student services. As part of this liaison, the committee will present resolutions and suggestions to the MSSAA Board of Directors for consideration as possible official positions of the Association.
• The Committee will monitor the use of distance learning programs like Plato and Novanet with an eye to discovering communication options based upon that area of educational technology.
• In cooperation with the MSSAA Legislative Committee, the Committee will initiate work on draft legislation on matters connected with student resources.
• The Committee will provide situational advice and information to individual MSSAA members.
• The committee will provide ongoing monitoring of the effect of budget constraints, legislative action and DESE regulations on the provision of outside resources to students and school communities.
• (Administrative Provision) The Committee will review this mission statement on an annual basis, and make such additions, deletions or changes as seem appropriate at that time.
Chairman - Mr. Scott Holcomb, North Attleborough High School, Pricipal
Liaison - Mr. Phillip Flaherty, MSSAA Assistant Director
Mr. William Beando, Wachusett Regional High School, Principal
Mr. Gregg J. Desto, Dudley Middle School, Principal
Ms. Marianne Farrell, Melrose High School, Principal
Ms. Melanie Gates, Middleborough Public Schools, Dir of Secondary Education for STEM
Ms. Catherine Knowles, Wachusett Regional High School, Job is changing
Ms. Marisa Ross, Lower Pioneer Valley Educational Collaborative, SpEd Supervisor
Ms. Kelley St. Coeur, Ashland High School, Dean of Students
Mr. Shawn Thornton, Pope John XXIII High School (Everett), Athletic Director
Ms. Christine M. Vigneux, Belchertown High School, Principal
Committee Dates: announced as needed