Ad Hoc Student Resources Committee Mission Statement
Adopted January 20, 2011
The Ad Hoc Student Resources Committee of the Massachusetts Secondary School Administrators Association has as its primary responsibility the improvement and maintenance of services to students provided by outside organizations. This entails both active and passive activities, and shall encompass, but be limited to the specific areas noted below.
• The Committee will conduct research on alternative programs, new or advanced programs and ongoing initiatives as determined by frequent communication with MSSAA members and the outside organizations concerned.
• The Committee will provide, from time to time, information to members that will assist them in knowing about and obtaining the services of various organizations devoted to the needs of particular students or particular administrative situations.
• The committee will maintain close liaison with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Executive Office of Education and private groups that are concerned with the provision of student services. As part of this liaison, the committee will present resolutions and suggestions to the MSSAA Board of Directors for consideration as possible official positions of the Association.
• The Committee will monitor the use of distance learning programs like Plato and Novanet with an eye to discovering communication options based upon that area of educational technology.
• In cooperation with the MSSAA Legislative Committee, the Committee will initiate work on draft legislation on matters connected with student resources.
• The Committee will provide situational advice and information to individual MSSAA members.
• The committee will provide ongoing monitoring of the effect of budget constraints, legislative action and DESE regulations on the provision of outside resources to students and school communities.
• (Administrative Provision) The Committee will review this mission statement on an annual basis, and make such additions, deletions or changes as seem appropriate at that time.
Chairman - Mr. Scott Holcomb, North Attleborough High School, Pricipal
Liaison - Mr. Phillip Flaherty, MSSAA Assistant Director
Mr. Robert Anthony, Adolescent Wellness, Executive Director
Ms. Nancy Carpenter, Massachusetts Association for School-Based Health Care, Executive Director
Mr. Jason DeFalco, Sullivan Middle School (Worcester), Principal
Mr. Michael Devoll, Old Rochester Regional High School, Principal
Mr. Charles Flahive, Retired
Ms. Kerry Lynch, Dartmouth High School, Principal
Mr. Peter Marano, Bellingham High School, Principal
Ms. Christine Vigneux, Belchertown High School, Principal
Committee Dates: announced as needed